Proposed plan for the Virtualization Getting Started Guide

Glen Rundblom glen at rundblom.com
Wed Mar 18 18:12:40 UTC 2015

On 03/18/2015 02:36 AM, Corey Sheldon wrote:
> @ Glen,
>
> I'll take a long look today and tomorrow and edit or comment on where
> /what can be added for you, as  I agree the libvirt /boxes guides are
> a bit "too techy biased" and/or  a bit dated
>
> Corey W Sheldon
> Freelance IT Consultant, Multi-Discipline Tutor
> (p) 310.909.7672
> G+: <https://www.plus.google.com/+CoreySheldon>
> LinkedIn: <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=70127804>
> Github: <https://www.github.com/linux-modder>
> Facebook: <https://www.facebook.com/corey.sheldon>
> Several Communities on Stack Exchange <https://www.stackexchange.com>
>

> Tutoring in person or via any of the following platforms:
> HackHands <https://www.hackhands.com>
> Wizpert <https://www.wizperts.com>
> FieldNation <https://www.fieldnation.com>
> AirPair <https://www.airpair.com>
> TrueLancer
>
> {PayPal,Google Wallet/Play store, Apple Pay}
>

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 1:22 AM, Dayle Parker <dayleparker at redhat.com
> <mailto:dayleparker at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Sandra,
>
>     Thanks for the feedback! A bit of background and links below...
>
>     On 03/18/2015 06:31 AM, Sandra McCann wrote:
>>     Thanks Dayle!
>>
>>     I took a look at your RHEL quickstart and the flow is quite
>>     similar to what I'm proposing.  I had a few comments:
>>
>>      - yum install - does RHEL support yum groupinstall? That's what
>>     I was going to document instead of the individual installs.  I
>>     have a small section after that to describe what some of the
>>     packages do (for the curious newbie :-)
>>
>     Yes, RHEL does support yum groupinstall - that might indeed be
>     simpler. Here's the RHEL virt package groups, in case it helps.
>     I'm not sure if they're the same in Fedora:
>
>     https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Virtualization_Deployment_and_Administration_Guide/sect-Installing_the_virtualization_packages-Installing_virtualization_packages_on_an_existing_Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_system.html
>
>     Great idea on providing a little bit of info on those packages for
>     the more curious :)
>
>>      - screencaps - I debated this one and was leaning toward only
>>     having one or two for virt-manager. Most of the steps are obvious
>>     when you look at the virt-manager gui, so I thought I could get
>>     away with less images to create/maintain.  That said, your
>>     approach makes it very obvious what screen the user should be on,
>>     so now I'm waffling on which approach to take.
>
>     Agreed, fewer screenshots is always better from a maintenance
>     perspective. I wasn't sure either how many to include, but went
>     for the whole set of them, just to be extra clear -- also it's
>     what we had in the Virt Deployment and Admin Guide. The "New VM"
>     wizard screenshots probably aren't necessary, they're more like an
>     assurance for the user that they're in the right spot.
>

>>      - other options to spin up a VM - I mention some of the other
> [...]
Thank you, I pushed my latest commit to my FedoraPeople repo, I am
having a hard time getting a section to build in publican. I think the
Products.xml page is too long and I should break it out into individual
chapters instead of one big page.

My personal git repo for this I have been using is here:
git://fedorapeople.org/~grundblom/virtualization-getting-started-guide.git

Thank you,
-Glen