Personas for Fedora Docs

Jerry Mauldin mauldin6 at gmail.com
Sun May 17 21:55:20 UTC 2015

On May 17, 2015 5:24 PM, "Pete Travis" <me at petetravis.com> wrote:

> On May 17, 2015 6:37 AM, "Brian (bex) Exelbierd" <bex at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am restarting the discussion of Personas for Fedora Docs.
> >
> > Personas are critical for scoping the level and style of writing we
will do on some/all topics. The current draft set of personas is here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_Focus

> > Before we dive into the various variant level personas that have been
collected, we should think about whether we want to have more than a
general set of personas.

> > For example, we could just write to several different users in general,
and allow the specifics to shake out.  I am personally in favor of a high
level set of users who we can describe more fully relative to each
variant/product situation.  I’ve put some examples on the wiki page above.

> > I think this set of personas leaves us in a better position.  We can
easily present the site different to each kind of user.  We can easily
determine if we think a project requires a certain amount of knowledge,
disclose that and then write only to personas that can handle it.  We can
also do audits at every level and focus ourselves on the real areas that
each type of user gets stuck in.

> > This also gives our users a consistent person to “follow/shadow” in the
documentation.  Project level personas may feel like reading a novel where
every time you start a new chapter (look at a new part of Fedora) all of
the characters suddenly change.

> > I believe the best step forward is for us to decide if we want overall
personas or project level personas and then to figure out who they are.

> > regards,
> >
> > bex
> > --
>
> I'm concerned that edition-specific personas would cause some unwanted
inferences - writing only newbie docs for Workstation, only advanced docs
for server, etc.

> Thinking back to the metadata discussion - what do you think about rating
the complexity of an article on, say, a 1-5 scale? Later, tools could use
the complexity metadata value for sorting and filtering, or maybe link to
our 'persona' for that experience level.

> Now, I just realized you're thinking about literally writing narratives
for the personas - I was thinking of it only as a composition /
whiteboardind tool.  That could be interesting...