[Fedora-electronic-lab-list] FEL becomes slow in old PCs

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Sat Feb 28 22:13:32 UTC 2009

Hello Everyone,

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Shakthi Kannan wrote:
> I installed Fedora-10-i686-Live-FEL on an IBM T41, Intel M 1400 MHz,
> 512 MB RAM, and KDE was quite slow - GUI responses, opening up
> applications, switching between applications et. al.
>
> I disabled many services. LXDE was little better among the available
> desktop environments/managers.
>
> SK

Ok, so if I get it right, KDE is slow, not FEL apps. I believe this is
what you mean with GUI.

FEL is based on Fedora, the OS. But still we/FEL should not forget
that our goal is to provide EDA solutions and the OS side is
maintained by our colleagues Fedora-KDE and Fedora-devel. It would be
wise to precise here that FEL Livedvd does have numerous services
disabled compared to the Fedora KDE spin.

About LXDE/GNOME/KDE, please don't get me wrong. It is not related to
FEL's goals.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 5:38 AM, Tom varghese  wrote:
> Dear Chitlesh,
>                  I felt it is slow on start up. I am booting from DVD drive.
> But it is too much slow than other linux distro live. I think the problem
> arrives from KDE. Can I use GNOME instead of KDE. If yes, How? (I am a
> beginner)

You can only use gnome if you have fedora installed. You can't run
gnome on the livedvd.

yum grouplist

you will find gnome desktop
then yum group-install "gnome-desktop-as defined by grouplist"

Kind regards,
Chitlesh