[fedora-electronic-lab] arm-elf gcc/gdb/binutils packages for FEL?

Chris Shucksmith chris at shucksmith.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 22:52:17 UTC 2010

I use Fedora FEL for the prepackaged gEDA suite. Recently, I needed to
compile C code for an embedded ARM processor, the Cortex-M3. While
FEL/Fedoras Extra ships with an *arm-gp2x* tool chain, and another for *avr*
it does not have an *arm-elf* toolchain.

It was fairly easy to modify the avr-gdb.spec, avr-gcc.spec and
avr-binutils.spec files found online from the Fedora public build CVS (eg.
at http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/avr-gdb/F-11/ ) to work for
arm-elf, then build RPMs using rpmbuild. I removed a few avr specific
patches, and upgraded binutils version to a later release to produce valid
code for the cortex architecture (there were some fixes to the ARM call
veneers in the last 12 months). These packages contain an arm-elf-gcc which
accepts "-mcpu=cortex-m3 -mthumb" arguments.

It seems worthwhile to submit these SPEC files for consideration for the FEL
repositories. It would be great next time to have this pre-packaged, working
on the assumption FEL might be more appropriate than Fedora Extras to carry
them.

The SPEC files (and FC11 RPMs) are on my blog at www.shucksmith.co.uk [1]. I
would be happy to add them to the FEL CVS and look after keeping the
packages building if this is an option. While I have no connection to either
the gcc/gdb/binutils developers or FEL, I would still like to try and
maintain them.

Chris

[1]
http://www.shucksmith.co.uk/blog/olimexstm32-h103olimexjtagusbminifedoralinux11-programflash