Meeting minutes - today's Env-and-Stacks WG meeting (2013-11-19)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 16:25:58 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 04:52:33PM +0100, Honza Horak wrote:
> On 11/19/2013 06:46 PM, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
> >   * ACTION: everyone to send one general thing they want the WG to
> >     enable and one specific thing they'd personally want to work on to
> >     the mailing list this week  (abadger1999, 17:37:44)
>
> So for me I'd like to see our WG to revisit Packaging guidelines and
> properly differentiate between MUST requirements and
> SHOULD/NICE_TO_HAVE practices. After then, we could come up with a
> tool/process/something to enforce to use it.

This would be an anti-goal of mine for this WG.  What we've found in the FPC
is that packagers want to have MUSTs.  Nearly everytime we've made Should
requirements packagers start screaming at each other about who's doing it
right with one side saying "The packaging guidelines say you should do it
this way" and the other half saying "The packaging guidelines don't tell me
I must do it that way".

Additionally, just to be clear, re-organizing the packaging guidelines would
be a welcome thing to do in conjunction with the Packaging Committee.  But
I would be very much against us going outside of the currently normal
process of proposing a draft, let the packaging committee approve or reject
the change.

> What I personally would like to do is to create a proof of concept
> tool which would check the guidelines (similar to fedora-review tool,
> but with different scope + general API for another arbitrary checks
> like API compliance, ...). It should be run-able locally, on server,
> remotely against repository.. If that would be helpful, then I'll try
> to get it integrated into fedora QA infrastructure.

pingou might be a good contact for talking about fedora-review as a basis
for this.  tflink would probably be the contact for inegrating into fedora
QA infrastructure.

-Toshio