Change proposal: SCL

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 08:55:10 UTC 2014

On 04/03/2014 04:02 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 03:58:30PM -0400, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
>> I prepared first draft of Change proposal for SCL. What do you think?
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Env_and_Stacks/Changes_Drafts/SCL
>>
> Probably should target getting only a single SCL into F21 (change "at least
> one" into "one") and also say that the process of getting it in will be an
> exception to the normal rules in terms of deadlines.  The guideline draft
> says that SCLs normally have to be submitted to FESCo by the Change
> Ddeadline.  ie the same deadline as for this Change Proposal.  And the
> guidelines and the scl-utils package are definitely not ready enough to
> allow that by that deadline.

Changed. I would be fine with one "experimental". Yes, guidelines are
not ready, but it wouldn't be the first thing what was accepted in
Fedora without proper guidelines...

> User experience should probably be changed to be less... "dapper".  Except
> in specific cases the user experience won't simply be to install the scl
> packages and the old applications they have will work.  There's likely to be
> a bit of work to either download extra libraries from third party sites and
> configure them to use the stack that's inside of the scl or to build their
> own rpm packages that add onto the scl.  So the user experience section
> should be a little more realistic.
Thanks, there are two use-cases which I should mention in user
experience. Users, who write their own apps, need to change shebang, but
users of apps written for scl won't have such issues.

> Should probably have a basic contingency plan as there are pieces that will
> affect building of other packages.  the releng pieces could require changes
> to fedpkg or koji, for instance.

fedpkg is NTH, we don't need changes in koji, only in minimal buildroot,
but that can be solved various ways.

> Might need to make this a system wide change for similar reasons.

System wide it is.

> -Toshio

Marcela