half baked idea for further baking: "fedora-ugly" repo

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sun Feb 9 10:55:23 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 09:03:14AM +0100, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > What do people think of this idea overall? Anyone interested in polishing
> > this up into a Real Thing?
> I'm not necessarily against this, but how does this differ from the
> 'Fedora Commons' part of the original proposal? What would we be
> accomplishing here above and beyond a set of curated COPRs?

The original idea was that the Commons would be a bubble of packages under
the current strict packaging guidelines; this is a suggestion for a
different bubble for packages that don't yet conform.

The difference from curated COPRs is:

- dodges the "signing in coprs is hard" problem
- packages would be expected to work together -- it's an integration point
- could still have some rules (I didn't mention this, but "don't update
  base packages here" would be one)
- potentially easier discoverability for each package
- depending on the focus between "ugly" vs. "incubation" or "staging" as a
  name, the implication would be that these are packages which are
  _striving_ to be part of the commons ("Fedora Collection"?) but aren't
  ready yet, whereas some other things might live in COPRs forever and
  have no intention of ever playing nice.