half baked idea for further baking: "fedora-ugly" repo

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Sun Feb 9 17:56:41 UTC 2014

Matthew Miller (mattdm at fedoraproject.org) said:
> The original idea was that the Commons would be a bubble of packages under
> the current strict packaging guidelines; this is a suggestion for a
> different bubble for packages that don't yet conform.
>
> The difference from curated COPRs is:
>
> - dodges the "signing in coprs is hard" problem
> - packages would be expected to work together -- it's an integration point
> - could still have some rules (I didn't mention this, but "don't update
>   base packages here" would be one)
> - potentially easier discoverability for each package
> - depending on the focus between "ugly" vs. "incubation" or "staging" as a
>   name, the implication would be that these are packages which are
>   _striving_ to be part of the commons ("Fedora Collection"?) but aren't
>   ready yet, whereas some other things might live in COPRs forever and
>   have no intention of ever playing nice.

So, from a user perspective, what does this buy us? If (for example) the
only reason it's not in the main repo is that it has bundled libs, what are
we accomplishing by making the user have an extra checkbox?

IOW, why not just restrict the super strict guidelines to the core product
repos of Fedora, and have this repo be for things outside of that, which can
include things that follow the guidelines, and things like chef that don't.

Bill