Git for Copr

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Feb 24 13:06:15 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Hi all,
> at last Env and Stacks WG meeting I've promised to talk to Mirek Suchy, Copr
> maintainer, about providing sort-of-dist-git (*), perhaps with a web
> interface, for Copr.
> The result of the discussion from Mirek's side is, that he's ok with it as
> long as he doesn't have to do it, since he's fully occupied with Copr. Also,
> Copr should still provide the option to build packages as it does now, e.g.
> sort-of-dist-git should be just a frontend application (not part of Copr),
> not really something that would be tied directly into Copr.
>
> However, few other people also joined the discussion and the responses to
> this idea were more like:
> - Why do we want to do this? This seems to be like creating Koji from Copr.
> Copr should remain lightweight.
> - Why would we need web interface? People don't need/want it.
> - If we really need web interface, why don't we utilize fedorahosted.org?
> - Why don't we just allow people to utilize any git (private git repo, git
> hosting like Github) and provide just tool that would allow users to do
> "copr build" and it would work automatically (actually it seems that Tito
> already knows how to do this [1]).
>
> My opinion on this is:
> - Utilizing git for tracking changes is important for example for the
> "fedora-ugly" idea, where we would like to easily track/view specfile
> history.
> - Having a single central place for git repos and offering it to Fedora
> contributors to use would be a nice addition. Utilizing fedorahosted.org for
> this usecase might be nice and we could reuse what we already have (although
> personally I find fedorahosted user experience pretty clumsy).
> - At the very least, we could extend the Tito Copr releaser to add some sort
> of meta-tag to specfile (someone mentioned that this should be possible)
> containing git url and hash. This way, we would be able to track the repo
> that srpm came from and the commit hash - again, this would improve the
> experience for potential contributors, who would be able to easily find
> where to send pull requests/patches.

I'll add another opinion - copr/koji should be in terms of workflow as
similar as possible. So having a hook in fedpkg to use it with this copr-
git and coprs would be amazing (I hears there are some plans to do it,
so it has my +1000;-). And yes, it's kojification of copr, why not, I still
hope in the end we will end up with one tool similar to OBS :).

Jaroslav