Fedora Server Use Cases Prioritization

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Tue Jan 7 11:46:28 UTC 2014

On 01/02/2014 03:35 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Marcela Maslanova <mmaslano at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> 6) ASK SOFTWARE COLLECTIONS WG The user must be able to easily deploy
>>> and configure applications to supported high-value frameworks.
>>> (Example frameworks: JBoss, Ruby on Rails, Django, Turbogears,
>>> Node.js, PHP.)
>> We didn't speak about easy deployment and configuration. We were discussing
>> possibility of automatic packaging or updates of these packages.
>> Do you have any specific goals for Env and Stack WG on your mind? Which
>> technologies to use etc.
>
> I think the "deploy and configure" aspect for specific server uses
> (e.g. how to get from an application package to an installed and
> running database and web server) would be handled by Server and Cloud
> products; what we would like to get from software collections or
> something similar is a way to _run_ an application (e.g. have all
> dependencies available, without focusing on the web server in
> particular), in a way that can be shipped within the Server product.
>       Mirek

I'd say it's working fine now. If you think it's not true, then you have
to go into more detail.
We stated our task [1], but nothing like that was mentioned. There's
currently more technologies for "deployment" - cartridges, rpms,
collections, images. Hard to say, which one will be favourite.

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Mmaslano/Draft:Env_and_Stack_PRD#Tasks

Marcela