vote on PRD

Tadej Janež tadej.janez at tadej.hicsalta.si
Fri Jan 17 10:56:15 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 10:26 +0100, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:

> >> 2) Improve the SCL section by reaching some consensus.
> > Yes, and it would really help to have a definition of what
"scl-utils" is and why it would be used or where to get more information
on it. This section seems a little light on content.

> I added what is scl-utils, but it still seems to be short.

Thanks.

However, we still need to answer the question: "What goals does the
Environment and Stacks Working Group have for the Software Collections?"
In other words, how will Software Collections (and further work on them)
fulfil the mission of packaging, testing and delivering the various
existing and new software stacks in Fedora?

> I have no idea what is more important. Also some projects already
have
> workforce, some not. How do we get people to work on new tasks?
Should
> we prioritize according to tasks, which already have some code?

I think it would be pretentious for any individual to decide what is
important and what not. The WG as a whole has to decide what they see as
more important and what not.

Also, I'm against prioritizing the tasks by the amount of code they
already have written and the workforce that is behind them.
The PRD should state what tasks our WG sees as more important for the
future of Environment and Stacks in Fedora and them encourage people to
work on these tasks first.
Of course we can't force volunteer contributors to work on those tasks
first, but if we make it clear why they are important, we might persuade
them.
For paid contributors (i.e. Red Hat employees), the PRD should serve to
persuade the managers when they decide to which tasks they will allocate
more people.

Tadej