vote on PRD

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Fri Jan 17 13:08:07 UTC 2014

On 01/17/2014 11:56 AM, Tadej Janež wrote:

>>> Yes, and it would really help to have a definition of what
> "scl-utils" is and why it would be used or where to get more information
> on it. This section seems a little light on content.
>>>
>> I added what is scl-utils, but it still seems to be short.
>
> Thanks.
>
> However, we still need to answer the question: "What goals does the
> Environment and Stacks Working Group have for the Software Collections?"
> In other words, how will Software Collections (and further work on them)
> fulfil the mission of packaging, testing and delivering the various
> existing and new software stacks in Fedora?

I can cut the proposal of SCL to provide scl-utils in Fedora as a
possibility to provide SCLs. But that's not what other products
dependent on SCLs wanted.

>> I have no idea what is more important. Also some projects already
> have
>> workforce, some not. How do we get people to work on new tasks?
> Should
>> we prioritize according to tasks, which already have some code?
>
> I think it would be pretentious for any individual to decide what is
> important and what not. The WG as a whole has to decide what they see as
> more important and what not.
>
> Also, I'm against prioritizing the tasks by the amount of code they
> already have written and the workforce that is behind them.
> The PRD should state what tasks our WG sees as more important for the
> future of Environment and Stacks in Fedora and them encourage people to
> work on these tasks first.
> Of course we can't force volunteer contributors to work on those tasks
> first, but if we make it clear why they are important, we might persuade
> them.
> For paid contributors (i.e. Red Hat employees), the PRD should serve to
> persuade the managers when they decide to which tasks they will allocate
> more people.

So for me: build system and automated packaging. In my opinion we are
loosing lot of time on manual packaging and updates.

I know my team will be working on: DevAssistant, SCL, build systems.

What other members think about priorities?