docker image questions!

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Tue Jul 1 09:19:24 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> See  https://fedorahosted.org/cloud/ticket/65
>
> Adam asks:
>
>    What "Fedora" exactly is the image going to contain? Fedora Server?
>    Fedora Cloud? Will it be a part of either of those products? If not, what
>    is its status, exactly? Who's responsible for it? Is it considered a
>    primary or frontline or whatever Fedora deliverable? Who's going to test
>    it? How's it going to be promoted in relation to all our other
>    deliverables?
>
> Here are *my* answers -- let's make sure we all agree. :)
>
> * It will contain its own very minimal "spin". We're not (currently) going
>   to produce "layered" images -- just the base. (Application images will
>   be made via Docker's "trusted builds" service from the fedora-dockerfiles
>   repo, on top of this base.)
>
> * It will initially be part of Fedora Cloud, but long term I think we want
>   to move it to Env & Stacks (CC'ing).

So, thinking about this I first thought that it might make sense to produce several variants, but we don't actually need to do that. Trying to think what people expect from a container:
- people expect it to be minimal (fast to download from the registry)
- people expect they'll be able to install stuff easily in it
- people expect they'll be able to run services easily

(At least that's what I expect from a container. Of course there is a lot more, but these are the most important points for me.) So as long as you can install anything you need inside it and can run stuff there, I think we'll be fine. That means having image that's as minimal as it can get.

> * Correspondingly, I think we're responsible.

Agreed.

> * On "primary or frontline", I think the answer is "not release blocking",
>   but we'd like to produce and upload the image after release if we miss
>   it

Yes, containers shouldn't block releases.

> * Who is going to test it? We should. Possibly, launching _this_ image
>   will be part of the Fedora Atomic tests?

I'll add one more: *How* are we going to test it?

Who's "We"? Cloud SIG? Have you tried talking to Fedora QE to perhaps reuse their infrastructure/hook container tests into it? Do we already some have test cases? What system will we use - Jenkins/something else?

> * The goal is to upload the official image to the Docker index in a manner
>   similar to our other cloud images.
>
> * We may promote it on the web site in some manner, but the primary point
>   is that we want to appear at <https://registry.hub.docker.com/>

Agreed with both.

Thanks,
Slavek