Playground Repo Requirements Document

Tadej Janež tadej.janez at tadej.hicsalta.si
Sat Mar 1 18:10:40 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-02-27 at 13:53 +0100, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:

> You are right we reached some conclusion on conflicts and replace, but
> what if we want for example new v8? We have terribly old v8 in current
> Fedora and conflicts might be a good solution in this case.

I think the Playground repo is not the right place to start providing
newer versions of existing packages in Fedora's main repository.
My arguments are:
1) The package in the main repo went through a proper package review.
The replacing package didn't.
2) The package's maintainer probably has reasons why he hasn't updated
the package (we should trust maintainers by default and not over-ride
them).

The way to approach this, in my opinion, is to talk to the maintainer of
the package in the main repository and work out if it is reasonable to
update the package in the desired Fedora version or not.
If the reason why the maintainer hasn't updated the package is lack of
time, applying for co-maintenance is the way to go.

There will be cases when the maintainer doesn't want to update the
package in the main repository and a newer version is needed/desired.
In case the package is:
1) some leaf package (e.g. an application), it would be sensible to just
create a COPR repo for it.
2) part of a software stack (e.g. a library), it would be sensible to
create a SCL with the required versions of the packages of the software
stack and provide it in the Playgroud repo. This SCL could then be
required by the applications needing this particular versions.

Tadej