1 Big repo vs multiple small ones

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 17:20:25 UTC 2014

On 03/18/2014 04:22 PM, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
> Today was discussed whether we want one big repo or multiple small ones
> [1]. Both have their pros and cons, but multiple small ones would solve
> most of open questions [2].
> I'd like to see discussion and later votes here, because on meetings are
> usually only five members of our SIG.

I tried to look at both options from user POV and having more little
repos seems to me like a better option, since it would allow him to
locate the necessary coprs easily, but he'd have to install the packages
in the next step (unless dnf/yum/other tool would be able to do it in
one step).

The user would also be able not to polute his list of available packages
with many unneeded packages (already mentioned in [1]). This way would
also use the concept of separate coprs that I like and would like to
keep unbroken.

Also I don't think it is either one or the second way, we should be able
to introduce a package, that would include all repositories and that way
we could have both ways implemented (one big repo and many small repos
as well; but we'd end up also with cons from both approaches, so it is
not optimal either).

Honza