1 Big repo vs multiple small ones

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 10:03:57 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On 03/18/2014 04:22 PM, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
> > Today was discussed whether we want one big repo or multiple small ones
> > [1]. Both have their pros and cons, but multiple small ones would solve
> > most of open questions [2].
> > I'd like to see discussion and later votes here, because on meetings are
> > usually only five members of our SIG.
>
> I tried to look at both options from user POV and having more little
> repos seems to me like a better option, since it would allow him to
> locate the necessary coprs easily, but he'd have to install the packages
> in the next step (unless dnf/yum/other tool would be able to do it in
> one step).

I talked to Mirek and it seems current support in DNF mostly allows this
collections of Copr repositories. So we are almost there - what Mirek
told me, it would require week, two weeks to implement it (of course, if
someone would be interested in this work ;-). The same support could be
added to WS Software Installer - I know Hughsie was thinking about it. Only
YUM will be left out. The question how big issue is it? DNF as default
targets F22 but I expect we should be able to find solution for it too.

But the whole idea is - don't reinvent wheel, use what we almost have,
try it in smaller scale. If it works, extend it, if not - there's also
possibility to try another round later.

Jaroslav