Integration per-component tests in Fedora

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 20 23:17:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 11:16:08PM +0200, Honza Horak wrote:
> 1a) Include the tests in git for component, say in 'tests/'
> directory. With this approach it would not be easy to use some
[...]
> 1b) Another approach would be to package the test suites as separate
> components using standard packaging process called by some
> convention and which would be installed as RPMs. With this approach
[...]

There was previously some discussion on this (I think on -devel? I'll
look for the thread) in context of tasktron. My suggestion of putting
them in the RPMs was largely not supported by anyone else until you
came along. :) I don't remember why not but I definitely remember
backing off because everyone told me I was crazy. :)

One of the desirable things mentioned at that point was that it would
be nice to not require package maintainers and test-writers/maintainers
to be the same for a given package, and possibly different permission
sets (proven-testers not necessarily proven-packagers).

At that point someone suggested leaving the dist-git alone and creating
a parallel tests-git, with some fedpkg linkage.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>