Pulp plugin for managing Python packages

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Tue Oct 28 08:47:46 UTC 2014

I actually opened up my Pulp devel mailing list folder for the first
time in a while, and the first thing I saw was that they're currently
working on a plugin for Python packages: https://github.com/pulp/pulp_python

One of the things that has been worrying me about the idea of language
specific package repos is the sheer complexity of managing them all.
(The fact Slavek found 35 new packages he'd need to respin as RPMs to
deploy devpi for the pilot did nothing whatsoever to reassure me...)

For those that aren't aware, Pulp is a plugin based repository
management system written in Python, where the different repositories
can all share common infrastructure for things like scheduling updates,
uploading new content, and mirroring files out to remote sites, but
publish content in a way that can be consumed by application specific
packaging tools (it's actually one of the upstream projects for Red Hat
Satellite 6+).

The already released plugins cover RPMs and Puppet modules, but in
addition to the Python support mentioned above, there's also
experimental modules for Docker image registry support.

I've actually used Pulp before (version 1 though, when the plugin model
was still in alpha), and rather liked their approach, as well as finding
their dev team quite easy to work. I hadn't previously thought of it in
the context of language specific repositories for Fedora, but now that I
have, I'll explore the idea further.

Cheers,
Nick.

--