Language specific mirrors for Fedora Playground compliant packages

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 03:08:40 UTC 2014

On 09/16/2014 12:40 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> There are two answers:
>
> 1) yum install rubygem-sqlite3
> 2) gem instal gem-nice-install && gem install sqlite3
>
> where yum install knows everybody on Red Hat platform, gem-nice-install
> knows virtually nobody. And to be honest, even me as a rubyist prefer 1)
> since I have *no* compiler on my system and I hope it stays like that.

The Python world defined its own binary package format in order to deal
with that problem (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0427/). That's
actually one of my other reasons for wanting a Fedora specific PyPI
mirror based on devpi - devpi is specifically defined in a way that
would let us build and push Fedora compatible wheel files for each
version of the distro (as well as each version of EPEL), while the
architecture independent files could remain in a shared index. That's a
solution that will work *today*, whereas providing a general solution
for arbitrary Linux distros will require further upstream engineering
effort (and is still only at the "kicking ideas around" stage).

For a broader picture of my perspective on how upstream and
redistributors can work together to provide a better developer
experience, it's worth having a look at my draft design for the next
generation Python packaging metadata format:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0426/

Regards,
Nick.

--