Meeting minutes from Env-and-Stacks WG meeting (2014-09-16)

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 14:37:57 UTC 2014

#fedora-meeting: Env and Stacks (2014-09-16)

Meeting started by hhorak at 13:01:52 UTC. The full logs are available
at
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2014-09-16/fedora-meeting.2014-09-16-13.01.log.html
.

Meeting summary
---------------
* init process  (hhorak, 13:02:53)
   * IDEA: developers of Koschei would like to see Koschei promoted and
     recommend as a good tool for all Fedora packagers  (hhorak,
     13:08:23)

* running Koschei for all Fedora packages (promote and recommend it)
   (hhorak, 13:09:06)
   * LINK: http://koschei.cloud.fedoraproject.org/   (bkabrda, 13:09:16)
   * LINK: https://github.com/msimacek/koschei   (bkabrda, 13:09:23)
   * Koschei only runs scratch builds if overall Koji load is below a
     certain level, but too many packages would mean they'll be rebuilt
     in very long intervals not to overload koji  (hhorak, 13:12:15)
   * there are plans to create a dynamic web UI, where packagers would be
     able to add/remove packages themselves  (hhorak, 13:15:52)
   * ACTION: everbody should find out more about koschei; if everyone
     likes it, we can vote on some sort of formal recommendation next
     time  (hhorak, 13:17:44)

* Language specific mirrors for Fedora Playground compliant packages
   (hhorak, 13:20:56)
   * the idea was a bit discussed on ML already:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/env-and-stacks/2014-September/000507.html
     (hhorak, 13:20:56)
   * fully deployment in RPM for everything does not make sense in
     projects run one-and-only instance in the world  (hhorak, 13:25:17)
   * LINK: http://doc.devpi.net/latest/   (ncoghlan, 13:28:28)
   * the idea is to be able to have a mirror of upstream repositories
     where we could do the initial Fedora Playground checks  (hhorak,
     13:33:34)
   * for python devpi seems to be the way to go with this  (hhorak,
     13:33:34)
   * we could seed the repos by flagging the packages that have already
     been accepted into Fedora, the incremental review model could look
     like language mirror -> Fedora Playground -> Fedora  (hhorak,
     13:33:34)
   * other languages may have their specifics and not so linux based
     upstreams  (hhorak, 13:33:35)
   * un-bundling and similar maintaining work would be solved in the step
     'playground -> Fedora'  (hhorak, 13:38:25)
   * dependencies on some system libraries are complicated, could be
     partly solved by new format wheel and some tricks in devpi  (hhorak,
     13:49:31)
   * we should first create the devpi instance and start experimenting
     with different ways of using it; then when we figure out what/how we
     want to do, we can create a Fedora feature  (hhorak, 13:49:32)
   * ACTION: bkabrda will request an instance in Fedora cloud to start
     playing around with devpi  (hhorak, 13:50:08)
   * ACTION: ncoghlan will do a write-up after we experiment a bit with
     bkabrda's devpi instance  (hhorak, 13:56:55)
   * reasons why developers would not use upstream repo directly and
     rather use Fedora's playground is because they might want the
     additional level of review that Fedora provides + they would get
     precompiled C-extension packages  (hhorak, 14:04:34)

* SCLs, building above them and their position in Fedora/EPEL  (hhorak,
   14:14:45)
   * ACTION: mmaslano will figure out how OpenShift is using SCL in their
     images  (mmaslano, 14:26:37)
   * SCL packaging doesn't have to be mandatory if you use smart enough
     wrapper script for setting up environment  (hhorak, 14:28:15)
   * tools to get the shebang line and spec file right for non-SCL python
     packages depending on SCL might not exist yet  (hhorak, 14:28:15)
   * ACTION: hhorak will be chairman for the next meeting  (hhorak,
     14:32:45)

Meeting ended at 14:32:45 UTC.

Action Items
------------
* everbody should find out more about koschei; if everyone likes it, we
   can vote on some sort of formal recommendation next time
* bkabrda will request an instance in Fedora cloud to start playing
   around with devpi
* ncoghlan will do a write-up after we experiment a bit with bkabrda's
   devpi instance
* mmaslano will figure out how OpenShift is using SCL in their images
* hhorak will be chairman for the next meeting

Action Items, by person
-----------------------
* bkabrda
   * bkabrda will request an instance in Fedora cloud to start playing
     around with devpi
   * ncoghlan will do a write-up after we experiment a bit with bkabrda's
     devpi instance
* hhorak
   * hhorak will be chairman for the next meeting
* mmaslano
   * mmaslano will figure out how OpenShift is using SCL in their images
* ncoghlan
   * ncoghlan will do a write-up after we experiment a bit with bkabrda's
     devpi instance
* **UNASSIGNED**
   * everbody should find out more about koschei; if everyone likes it,
     we can vote on some sort of formal recommendation next time

People Present (lines said)
---------------------------
* ncoghlan (95)
* hhorak (55)