Definition of word "ring"

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 13:56:53 UTC 2015

On 04/20/2015 12:51 PM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> [...]

I'd just add that the set is described by expectations we have about
this set, so for example we can have:

* stable libraries, that we don't expect breaking API/ABI but we expect
them to be available for any upper ring -- those will be probably in ring 1

* set of RPMs in ring 2 -- e.g. framework like Ruby on Rails, that makes
sense to be available in more versions, but is not necessary for most of
the other packages

* another set of RPMs in ring 3 that don't follow all packaging
guidelines -- e.g. application built in copr

In other words -- when looking at which ring the artifact belongs to, we
must look at what we expect from that artifact.

Honza