Rethinking user level package management

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 01:36:16 UTC 2015

On 7 August 2015 at 10:13, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Instead, I'm starting to think that conary's *ideas* (if not the
> software itself) will be most at a home in the
> dist-git/fedpkg/rhpkg/copr/koji ecosystem - the machinery whereby
> upstream source code turns into downstream binary repos, rather than
> being particularly useful in making the final hop from downstream repo
> to end user system.

One thing I'll add here (now that I've checked my GitHub messages) is
that the conary folks have been *really* helpful in my efforts to get
it bootstrapped on F22: https://github.com/sassoftware/conary/issues/6

So I'm still reserving judgment here, even though I'll be using conda
as my near term example of the kind of end user experience I think we
want. Being able to share tech between our backend and frontend
tooling would certainly be nice if we can manage it.

Cheers,
Nick.