Workstation WG post on application bundles

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Tue Jan 27 11:22:29 UTC 2015

On 26. 1. 2015 at 12:58:05, Václav Pavlín wrote:
> Thanks for heads up Nick.
>
> The overall idea looks similar to Lennart's proposal:
> http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems.html

To be honest I hope not because that proposal had severe implications
throughout the entire Fedora. If I should imagine a specific technology,
LinuxApps would be a much better fit for this purpose.

> Which is definitely a good thing. Question is how we are going to
> approach the distribution method in Fedora - we are already getting
> familiar with OSTree through Atomic, but I am not sure if that's the
> best way of application delivery (at least until dnf learns to pull and
> install ostree images - how cool that would be:)

Definitely not a plan for the near future (we are not even in Fedora yet) but
it makes sense to have this long term, as dnf has a huge potential to be the
installer of choice in Atomic.

> On the other hand AFAIK
> we are missing some pieces in Koji to be able to bundle like this in
> RPMS - we'd need at least buildroots separated by tags (which would also
> solve a problem how to build SCL, by the way..)

Not sure what do you mean here but it seems to be related to the functionality
of the earlier referenced Lennart's proposal. Why would you need buildroots
separated by tags? Do you mean having some sort of database that would contain
the information about package set that constitutes a certain part of the
system (GNOME 3.14 for instance)?

Thanks
Jan