Starting to take a look at Conary

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 14 14:57:28 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 9:40 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> At Matt Miller's recommendation, I added Conary to the list of
> packaging tools I'm investigating as a possible language independent
> user level package management system:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Env_and_Stacks/Projects/UserLevelPackageManagement#Recommending_language_independent_tooling_.28longer_term.29
> (Sam Kottler actually suggested Conary to me at Flock a couple of
> years ago, but I never got around to investigating it)
>
> In trying to research that, I was having a lot of trouble finding
> useful docs, so I filed an issue about that on their GitHub issue
> tracker: https://github.com/sassoftware/conary/issues/2
>
> Near term, they pointed out the clone of their old wiki from the rPath
> days: https://opensource.sas.com/conarywiki/index.php/Main_Page
>
> Longer term, they've started putting updated docs together at
> http://sassoftware.github.io/conary/ (very bare bones at the moment,
> but I suggested they look at MediaWiki export + Pandoc to convert some
> of the old docs from the wiki clone).
>
> They also mentioned that they've finally been able to fully open
> source rBuilder itself, and pointed out
> http://sassoftware.github.io/appengine/quickstart.html for folks that
> would like to try out conary, rmake and rbuild in a prebuilt VM.

+1 - Thanks for looking into this, I've also heard good things about
conary but also never had the time to really dig into it. I've read
their "Technology Document"[0] and it's very interesting (though the
inability to prune repos is a little concerning).

I look forward to seeing your findings from this effort.

-AdamM

[0] https://github.com/sassoftware/conary/blob/master/doc/ConaryTechnology.pdf