E&S WG request for input on requirements for Fedora Developer Portal

Petr Hracek phracek at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 08:10:11 UTC 2015

Hi Taylor,

On 07/20/2015 10:12 PM, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-07-20 at 10:33 -0400, Jens Petersen wrote:
>> In the last Env & Stacks meeting last week there was discussion about
>> plans, direction, and content for the Fedora Developer Portal website
>> that is under construction.  I think the plan is make the E&S WG more
>> actively involved in overseeing the content on the Portal. Anyway as
>> part
>> of the discussion it was suggested by Langdon that it would be good
>> reach out to the WS WG for input on its requirements and suggestions
>> for the Developer Portal since one of the main targets of Fedora WS
>> is
>> developers.  Since I am on both WGs I offered to liase on this topic.
>>
>> What kind of content, requirements or suggestions does the WS WG have
>> for the Developer Portal?
> Hi Jens,
>
> I looked through the wiki page, and had a few questions/comments:
>
>   * Is the target was exclusively on using Fedora as a client machine,
> or if it also is planned to cover using Mac/Windows to develop for
> deployment?
Yeah good point. Main target of Fedora Developer Portal is to allow users to
use a features or projects who use Fedora.
Window no. We have no plan currently to support it.
If there is going to be a volunteer who creates a page for Mac it would
be awesome
But for Windows I think that it is not possible;)

>   * For someone coming to the website, they shouldn't feel that they
> have to choose a language, a framework, a database, a deployment
> technology before they get started. This is likely to stop anybody but
> the most confident and experienced developer dead in their tracks. It's
> fine if there is information on the site about a wide range of topics,
> but we can't be afraid to make specific recommendations and orient the
> experience of coming to the site around those recommendations.
> (Probably a small set of recommendations rather than a single one,
> depending on what language, if any, the developer knows, and what they
> want to develop.)
Thanks for this.
More information can be found on our GitHub
https://github.com/developer-portal/content

We would like to allow users e.g to try Vagrant/Docker/DevAssistant
and shows them how to install it and how to make their workstation suitable
for using or even developing.

>   * We definitely should eventually have "Creating native applications
> for Fedora Workstation" as one topic. I don't know if we immediately
> will have any really compelling solution to recommend - the closest
> thin we have to a current recommendation is Javascript GTK+ apps using
> a plain text editor - but we should be working on figuring that out on
> the Workstation WG side. Native development isn't necessarily the main
> target of Fedora Workstation, but it's something that people will want
> to do.
This could be defined later on. And I agree with this. Main propose of
this page is for developers but it is not to make their workstation for
native
development. After time they can do it some development.

>   * It would be great if any pain points and inelegant steps that come
> up in creating the website get fed back into the Workstation and we can
> try to fix them. Are there packages that you need to drop to the
> command line to install? (We can preinstall or try to figure out how it
> should work with GNOME Software.) Does system configuration need to be
> changed? Are there places where additional GUI tools are needed? Are
> there problems with networking and VMs? And so forth.

Testing instance of Fedora Developer Portal is here
https://developer-phracek.rhcloud.com/
Today there will be a brief overview.
Soon we are planning to announce it on devel list and of course on other
channels.