Redesign of fedup since F23

John Dulaney jdulaney at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 3 13:11:23 UTC 2015

> Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 12:57:37 +0200
> From: phracek at redhat.com
> To: env-and-stacks at lists.fedoraproject.org
> Subject: Redesign of fedup since F23
>
> Hi Env&Stack team,
>
> I do not know if it is valid for our ML but I guess yes.
> It seems that since Fedora 23 fedup is not going to be used anymore [1].
> Instead of them new DNF plugin will be used. [2]
>
> I would like to kindly ask you if we have something to add here.
>
> And of course GUI is missing in Fedora for upgrades.
>
> Zero downtime update is great idea. My last update from F21 -> F22 took
> around 3 hours.
> Brief summary.
> How it should work from Will Woods point of view:
>
> So! For F23, fedup needs to be redesigned. Here's how it should work:
> 1) Download packages for the new system
> 2) Use the systemd Offline Updates[3] facility to install packages
>
> [1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2015-May/210905.html
> [2] https://github.com/wgwoods/dnf-plugin-fedup
> [3] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/SystemUpdates/
>
> --
> Petr Hracek
> Software Engineer
> Developer Experience
> Red Hat, Inc
> Mob: +420777056169
> email: phracek at redhat.com

Seems like a good idea to me.  I honestly never really used fedup or
its predecessor; I've always used yum and then dnf (or flat out reinstalled).

The biggest thing is to try to make sure we don't blow up on edge cases
like the /usr move, but we ought to be able to ahndle them as they come.

Is this going to be an Anaconda team task, or something for us?

John.