Latest thoughts on user level package management

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 06:51:13 UTC 2015

On 6 June 2015 at 05:40, Stuart Campbell <stuart at sicampbell.com> wrote:
> I think this looks very sensible and well thought out.  Would the idea be to replace the concept of 'rings'?

I was aiming to cover a subset of what the ring concept conveys,
specifically the "packaging and maintenance policy may vary" part.

Broadly speaking, Aleph 0-2 would map to packaging policies for rings
0 & 1 (these would be pretty close to Fedora's existing policies),
while Aleph 3-5 would map to packaging policies for rings 2 & 3 (aside
from COPR/Playground making up Aleph 3, this would be new territory
for Fedora - software developers targeting Linux are currently largely
left to fend for themselves in this space)

However, I think folks are using the rings concept as an organising
principle for more than just packaging policy and technology, so I
suspect these packaging and build process specific Aleph levels would
support the rings concept, rather than replace it.

Regards,
Nick.