Building and publishing Software Collections from COPR or Koji?

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Fri Jun 19 17:07:41 UTC 2015

On 06/02/2015 04:38 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> There's more context for this question below, but has anyone looked at
> what would be involved in building software collections in COPR or
> Koji, and then publishing them to softwarecollections.org?

There are already some collections built in copr, sometimes even
available on scl.org, e.g.:
https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/mysql55/

koji is a bit more complicated -- we first need to make clear what the
tags/branches and other rules around are (scl prefixes and names were
big issue in fedora). I checked with Denis and Pingu few months back and
there seem to be no obvious blocker on rel-eng/pkgdb part.. But still,
it will mean creating new tags for every new collection.. Well,
generally, more effort.

> The context is that seeing https://github.com/squeaky-pl/portable-pypy
> reminded me that I'd been meaning to ask for a while if anyone looked
> at turning the PyPy and PyPy3 packages for Fedora/EPEL into sofware
> collections for softwarecollections.org.

I'm not that familiar with python packaging of PyPy packages, is it
possible to do it fully automatically? Or we need to do it
semi-automatically for the first time and then we can just rebase to
newest versions automatically?

> That then lead to a follow on though, which is that building them is
> only the first step, the next trick is updating them for future
> releases, which then lead to asking about the possible automation
> paths.

I'm wondering whether copr builds could be set up in a way that it runs
some tasks based on the fedmsg.. I'm sure it is possible to be done
outside of copr, but would such a feature be something to look at even
in the copr itself?

Honza