Minutes from Env-and-Stacks WG meeting (2015-06-18)

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Fri Jun 19 17:16:23 UTC 2015

#fedora-meeting-2: Env and Stacks (2015-06-18)

Meeting started by hhorak1 at 12:00:23 UTC. The full logs are available
at
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-2/2015-06-18/env-and-stacks.2015-06-18-12.00.log.html
.

Meeting summary
---------------
* init process  (hhorak1, 12:01:04)

* Fedora layered docker images  (hhorak, 12:11:18)
   * LINK: https://github.com/fedora-cloud/Fedora-Dockerfiles/   (hhorak,
     12:11:39)
   * LINK:
     http://jasonwilder.com/blog/2014/08/19/squashing-docker-images/
     (hhorak, 12:13:26)
   * LINK: https://github.com/goldmann/docker-scripts   (ttomecek,
     12:14:34)
   * LINK: https://github.com/docker/docker/pull/13929   (ttomecek,
     12:17:25)
   * docker-squash have issues, while docker-scripts doesn't and it is
     proved in practice already  (hhorak, 12:20:45)
   * LINK:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Layered_Docker_Image_Build_Service
     (ttomecek, 12:21:47)
   * Use dockerfile_lint prior the build to check the Dockerfile
     (vpavlin, 12:55:24)

* testing of fedora layered docker images -- where to keep tests
   (hhorak, 12:56:13)
   * LINK:
     https://github.com/fedora-cloud/Fedora-Dockerfiles/tree/master/mariadb
     - mkdir tests  (vpavlin, 12:57:21)
   * at least for start we'll have the general tests (or meta tests and
     steps) under https://github.com/Containers-Testing-Framework/ and
     package-specific parts near the dockerfiles
     (https://github.com/fedora-cloud/Fedora-Dockerfiles/), in tests
     sub-directory  (hhorak, 13:07:53)
   * docker images tests will test just the image itself, rpms will be
     tested before image build already..  (hhorak, 13:08:39)
   * there will probably be specific tests e.g. for mariadb, since for
     example environment variables which the image accepts to initialize
     the database are specific for every database (another example is
     mongodb that has different authentication mechanism than
     postgresql/mariadb, which needs to be mirrored in the image's API)
     (hhorak, 13:15:36)
   * but we should try to make the tests be generic as much as possible
     (hhorak, 13:15:36)

* Open Floor  (hhorak, 13:16:36)

Meeting ended at 13:18:32 UTC.

Action Items