Building and publishing Software Collections from COPR or Koji?

Bohuslav Kabrda slavek at redhat.com
Tue Jun 23 07:12:38 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On 20 June 2015 at 03:07, Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On 06/02/2015 04:38 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> >> The context is that seeing https://github.com/squeaky-pl/portable-pypy
> >> reminded me that I'd been meaning to ask for a while if anyone looked
> >> at turning the PyPy and PyPy3 packages for Fedora/EPEL into sofware
> >> collections for softwarecollections.org.
> >
> > I'm not that familiar with python packaging of PyPy packages, is it
> > possible
> > to do it fully automatically? Or we need to do it semi-automatically for
> > the
> > first time and then we can just rebase to newest versions automatically?
>
> I don't know either, unfortunately - digging into the PyPy packages is
> one of those things that's never made it to the top of my personal
> priority list :(

So, this was one of my goals when I was working on the Python stack, but I never really had the time to push this.
I actually wanted to build these two stacks in Fedora proper, e.g. not as SCL but as part of the base system. The problem was that for every interpreter we'd need to add another subpackage to every Python package (well, for every package that we'd want to work with that interpreter). So I took a step back and opened an issue for dynamic generation of RPM subpackages [1] which would pretty much solve our problem. Unfortunately noone from RPM upstream has reacted and I haven't had the time to push this because of all the work on Python 3 as Default.
If anyone is interested in this, please leave a comment at the upstream RPM issue and I can start pushing this, since I've been having a bit of spare time lately.

As for using SCL, that would be possible. We'd just need to invest quite a lot of time when doing things for the first time, since the PyPy/PyPy3 packages aren't really ready for building stacks (we'd need to create build macros analogous to what python/python3 has etc).

> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> --

Regards,