Docker for beginners and WEB UI

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Mar 6 13:15:30 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015, at 05:03 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:

> This makes me wonder how DevAssistant should approach this. Up until now, DevAssistant just added the invoking user to the "docker" group and then communicated with docker using docker-py library. Now, if we're not supposed to add the user to "docker" group, we can't use the library, because all the calls will fail - or we'd need to ask user to run DevAssistant as root, which is IMO wrong.
> AFAIK there's no way to elevate DevAssistant permissions temporarily just to do the docker call. So what is the recommended approach to do this? (This is a general problem, I think, for code that needs to communicate with local Docker server.)

There's no easy answer.  Historically, most *local* daemons have been using DBus and PolicyKit for authorization.  Docker is HTTP-based, which means it's easier to remote, but on the other hand, there's no way to do system-local authorization in HTTP.

Possibly we could create a shim process which had a PolicyKit-authorized DBus API that returned a file descriptor to the Docker socket.  That would require patching apps that use it, but it would be more fully under admin control.

BTW, with respect to mock - now that mockchain is added, a user in the mock group can run arbitrary code as uid 0 locally - just put it in the %post of the build dependency.  Modern mock uses systemd-nspawn which is more secure, but uid 0 in containers should currently be treated as uid 0 outside.