Minutes from Env-and-Stacks WG meeting (2015-03-26)

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Thu Mar 26 15:06:54 UTC 2015

On 03/26/2015 03:32 PM, Honza Horak wrote:
> * everyone to look at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UserLevelPackageManagement-Python and
>    propose improvements on ML or next meeting

I have few notes and a couple of questions, since it was not clear
enough to me -- those parts may be described more verbosely maybe...

DevPi chapter:
I'd add more information for non-pythoninsts, just to make the whole
idea clear to everyone..
"""
The Python Package Index (PyPI) is a repository of software for the
Python programming language (python modules).
"""
.. and we may be more verbose about the repository (extend the last
sentence):
"""
A DevPI server can host multiple indexes. Each index is a repository
that contains metadata and files. [what kind of metadata it includes? it
may help understanding the concept]
"""
... and I'd also like to see som quick summarization of what this
feature brings to fedora python users. (even repeat some sentence from
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Env_and_Stacks/Projects/UserLevelPackageManagement)

Indexes and packages chapter:
I just have some questions here, rather than ideas to improve.. what
does "fedora/21" mean? -- does "/" has some semantic? is "fedora" alone
a valid repository name?

Package versions:
"RSHSCL indexes" -- probably better to say "indexes for Python Software
Collection"..

Issue reporting:
...licorice [2] -- "[2]" link is missing..

pip configuration:
the http://localhost... server will be valid just in testing, right? in
practice it would be something like
http://devpi.fedoraproject.org/root/pypi/+simple/, right? I'd rather use
some look-more-real url in the example.

Maybe also some example of use case of installing a package using the -i
URL way, generally just to see what this feature brings in practice?

Honza