Pulp-for-language-specific-repositories status update

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 12 07:03:38 UTC 2015

As I mentioned at last week's E&S meeting, Randy Barlow, the author of
the pulp-python plugin, was at PyCon last month to present a poster on
his plugin, and Slavek and I both had a chance to have some good
conversations with him.

>From a Language Specific Repositories point of view, the two main
missing features were support for uploading wheel files (i.e. the
Python-specific format for prebuilt binaries) and for lazy mirroring
(i.e. acting as a caching proxy for PyPI, rather than as a full local
mirror).

Randy's amenable to adding the first to the plugin (we were far from
the only folks at the conference that raised that as a requirement),
while for the latter, the Pulp team are interested in pursuing that as
a general purpose capability offered by the plugin framework, rather
than it being specific to the Python plugin.

No ETA on either feature yet, though, so it makes sense to continue
with devpi for the pilot, and then look at Pulp again if we decide we
want to expand beyond Python.

Cheers,
Nick.