[scl.org] Image naming for centos-based images

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Tue Oct 20 21:29:53 UTC 2015

I'm wondering whether the silence means nobody has any objections or
whether everything was already said..

Anyway, there is still the risk of using names without rhel7 and centos7
suffix like `centos/mariadb-100` or `rhscl/mariadb-100`, that user won't
be sure what is the OS version in the container -- that is considered
relevant in more parts of
https://github.com/projectatomic/ContainerApplicationGenericLabels/blob/master/vendor/redhat/names.md.

That ^ is also the view I'm more leaned towards, simply because I agree
with the points in the document above and because I don't think platform
version makes any harm in the name. On the other hand, the Docker world
works without platform version or even component version in the name, so
it shouldn't be that bad in the end.

So, technically we're able to change the names for RHSCL images now
after they are available as Beta, but I'm not sure whether it is still
possible from PM PoV -- Brian, would it be possible to change names of
the images from e.g. `rhscl/mariadb-100-rhel7` to `rhscl/mariadb-100` at
this point?

Honza