[scl.org] Image naming for centos-based images

Daniel Riek riek at redhat.com
Sun Oct 25 01:12:54 UTC 2015

FWITW, I agree with Michal and Honza here.

There were 2 primary reasons to include the Platformdifferentiator:
* As stated in the policy [1], the primary purpose was to allow builders of
layered images to understand what underlying platform they would be using
and give them explicit control.
* In addition we wanted to ensure that the RHEL name show-up in searches
(one of the reasons why this is a cert requirement).

[1]
https://github.com/projectatomic/ContainerApplicationGenericLabels/blob/master/vendor/redhat/names.md

Daniel

On Friday, October 23, 2015, Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/22/2015 01:10 PM, Michal Fojtik wrote:
>
>> I think the question here is really how we will tag the ruby/python/etc
>> images then.
>> Now we deal just with centos7, so we can have centos/ruby-20 (or
>> centos/ruby even).
>> How when centos8 will be out, centos/ruby-20 will be based on centos8?
>> What will happen
>> to centos7 images? How users will know what base those images have? ;-)
>>

> Thank you for rephrasing, that's basically my point all the time. We just
> need to be able to distinguish it somehow, even if it is crucial only for
> part of the users and others will ignore it.
>
> Honza
>
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com
>> <mailto:hhorak at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I expect we want the centos-based images be run everywhere, not only
>>     centos, but on Fedora, Debian or even Windows if possible.
>>
>>     Honza
>>
>>     On 10/22/2015 12:31 PM, Michal Fojtik wrote:
>>
>>         That is good question :-)
>>
>>         On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Petr Pisar <ppisar at redhat.com
>>         <mailto:ppisar at redhat.com>
>>         <mailto:ppisar at redhat.com <mailto:ppisar at redhat.com>>> wrote:
>>
>>              On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 12:13:43PM +0200, Michal Fojtik
>> wrote:
>>              > I think one of the main reason (AFAIK) we used "-rhel7"
>>         and "-centos7"
>>              > suffixed for the images
>>              > was that we simply used one repository ("openshift/") and
>>         we needed to have
>>              > a way to distinguish
>>              > between rhel7 and centos7 images.
>>              >
>>              > Now, when we are pushing the images to "centos/"
>>         namespace on DockerHub,
>>              > this is not longer required
>>              > I think, because "centos/ruby-22-centos7" sounds just
>>         weird :-)
>>              >
>>              What will happen once centos8 is released? Do you think
>>         then executing
>>              centos8 image on centos7 or vice versa will be supported?
>>
>>              -- Petr

Daniel Riek <riek at redhat.com>
* Sr. Director Systems Design & Engineering
* Red Hat Inc, Tel. +1-617-863-6776