Relationship to existing 3rd party repos/CentOS/SL?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Apr 14 14:21:52 UTC 2007

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 10:11:26AM -0400, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2007, at 7:17 AM, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > the voting/decision on repotags was labeled as being 99% a political
> > one, and no one objected against that old statement. Does the outcome
> > of EPEL not carrying repotags mean that there is no interest in
> > cooperation with 3rd party repos?
> >
> > I'm not after answers on pseudo-technical details, so consider the
> > above question as rhetorical, instead let me rephrase completely
> > outside the scope of repotags:
> >
> > What is EPEL's intended relation to the existing third party repos?

> Hi Axel, I'm a bit confused about which statement you are referring
> to in your first sentence, could you please clarify for me?

That voting about repotags is a 99% political decision of playing nice
with other 3rd party repos. The remaining 1% was shared between
confusion between RHEL and EPEL packages and technical implementation.

> I'm glad that you brought up this subject directly as I feel it does
> need to be addressed.  In your questions, are you referring to all
> possible "3rd party" repos, or only to a few of the biggest ones - if
> so, which are considered big enough to be considered?

I'm a fair player, I'm not casting away small or new repos. This
sounds like you're running one yourself, which one is it?

> In my opinion it is difficult at best to enable multiple repos on a
> single machine.

Which is due to lack of coordination of these repos.

> Axel, I would also be interested to know what your thoughts are on
> the questions you posed to the list.  How would you like to see EPEL
> and other repos interact (if at all)?

Well, I'm one of the few that voted in favour of EPEL playing nice
with other repos, so I'm interested in a healthy two-way interaction.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net