EPEL, RHEL-5Server and RHEL-5Client...

Joel Andres Granados jgranado at redhat.com
Tue Jul 17 12:23:58 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 17.07.2007 13:13, Joel Andres Granados wrote:
>
>> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>
>>> On 17.07.2007 12:13, Joel Andres Granados wrote:
>>> For the situations at hand:
>>> Problem1 -- python-imaging was EPEL: We made a error, but we are still
>>> in the testing/buildup phase, so we can still remove it from the repo
>>>
>> Is this true for EPEL/el4 and EPEL/el5?  I ask because I have them both
>> in the CVS and assumed that EPEL/el4 was an already *stable* release.
>>

> /me can't follow, sorry.
>
> EPEL in general and the Repos EPEL4 and EPEL5 are still not officially
> started; that's planed for next weeks Thursday.

I thought EPEL4 was official,  I see that they are both no out yet :)

>>> and say loudly "apologize" and "we are sorry"(¹). Not ideal, but problem
>>> solved.
>>> Problem2 -- python-imaging had a higher EVR then the EL5Client package:
>>> Ignore those users that got the newer python-imaging from EPEL (see
>>> Problem 1: "EPEL is still in testing" and "apologize").
>>>
>> IMO this is also very precarious "to ignore the user".
>>

> And the users isn't helped if we fix one error by making another
> (bigger) one.

Just to be clear. the process to install (if you have already installed
1.1.6) is to remove
the current package, then install from repos?

if the answer is yes. And having in mind that this situation might
present itself more
than once in the future.  Will this be the policy to handle all of these
situations?
Will the message to the user be "to make sure you updates are done
correctly
and no unexpected behaviors pop up with corner cases, uninstall EPEL
package and install it from new/current repo"?
Its just something to think about, I know its not a solution !!
I'll be on the look out for what is decided on tomorrows meeting.

>>> (¹) -- we likely should put something (test-scripts?) in place to make
>>> sure something similar does not happen again
>>>
>> IMO, This is VERY necessary.
>>

> Any volunteers?

The scripts is important, the action taken when the scripts finds
something is more important.

Regards.

--
Joel Andres Granados