Macros available in Fedora but not RHEL <= 4: Create epel-rpm-config?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Mar 20 15:31:48 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 09:20:36AM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 March 2007 08:11:35 am Axel Thimm wrote:
> > There are a couple of useful macros available in Fedora >=5 (maybe
> > even 4) due to the higher rpm version like the bcond macros and maybe
> > more.
> >
> > If a Fedora package uses these macros then for RHEL5 there is no
> > problem, but it breaks on RHEL4 and RHEL3. The fast way out is to add
> > the macro definitions at the top of the specfile.
> >
> > But this will fork specfiles for no real reason, I'd rather see
> > keeping the same specfile for EPEL and Fedora (unless
> > abi/api/stability force chosing another version for EPEL than for
> > Fedora).
> >
> > Could we have the few macros available in Fedora but not older RHEL
> > releases placed in an epel-rpm-config package and have this be part of
> > the default build chroots? That way EPEL builds are more compatible to
> > conventional Fedora builds.

> Sounds fine to me. feel free to write up a spec.  would it make sense to have
> them in epel-release or elsewhere?

I'd leave them with epel-rpm-config, as epel-release is supposed to be
more an end user thing with yum/rhn configs while epel-rpm-config
should have bits that are used only by rpmbuild and higher.

I'll craft together something and submit it.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net