Websites and things

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Feb 17 17:30:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 09:47:01AM -0600, Michael Stahnke wrote:
> A while back I mentioned that EPEL should be listed on the front page
> of the Fedoraproject wiki.  I filed a ticket with the web
> infrastructure folks (#1139) to make that happen.
>
> Also, when clicking around on the wiki, EPEL is not listed as a SIG,
> nor a Sub-project.  Which are we?  I get confused about these terms.
> Either way, we should be listed on at least one of those.

It is explained on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Defining_projects
that a project is defined by the Fedora Project Board (or by the project
board for a sub-project). I don't recall the board nor FESCo telling that
EPEL is a project, so I guess it is a SIG, but FESCo people would
certainly remember better than me.

However, it may also be that these things are not that clear, since
the Packaging project is not listed on:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects
though it doesn't seems to be the same than the Distribution project, and
it is listed in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Defining_projects as being
a main project.

EPEL is something like cross-cutting in Packaging, Infrastructure. Maybe
EPEL could be seen as a SIG under both Packaging and Infrastructure.
Still it is a special SIG, since it is broader than usual SIGs, and is
focused on a derivative distro of Fedora, but not based on current
Fedora. It is similar with OLPC, in my opinion, but OLPC doesn't appear
anywhere. Also I may be the only one, but I am not a member of Fedora
anymore (at least not a member of the Fedora Packaging Group), but I
am still in EPEL, this is not clear that it would be possible in a normal
SIG.

There is a page for EPEL as a SIG:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/SIG
but it is a page that I haven't updated much when I updated the wiki, and
it shows obsolete information. I am not sure about the list of the SIG
members, for example.

--
Pat