Moin in EPEL

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 22:16:34 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Toshio Kuratomi<a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/20/2009 07:52 AM, Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:
>> pe, 2009-06-19 kello 13:11 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen kirjoitti:
>>> I had looked at this a while ago. My strategy looked to be to create a
>>> moin15, moin16 etc that would replace the older versions (moin-1.5
>>> etc) since upgrades from 1.5 to 1.8 were uhm painful (I know I did it
>>> a couple of times).
>>
>> This sounds like a good idea, but it would mean more work for us (which
>> isn't a reason to dismiss it, but it might take considerably more
>> time...)
>>
>> Were you planning on backporting security patches for 1.5 or just
>> releasing the current package as moin15?
>
> Note: To me personally, if we aren't backporting fixes to moin15 I'd
> rather see it dropped and just go ahead and document all the pain we can
> for moving to moin-1.8.  Others may differ (and there may be valid cases
> "I'm using moin on an intranet" and the like)... It's choosing between
> two bad situations.

The big issue I have found is that moving from moin major to moin
major is basically a completely broken site you can't fix after the
fact. That was the major issue that made me try to figure out a better
methodology... With enterprises its not a good idea to find that on
Tuesday you have no way to get your site back... The big issue I see
is

a) it changes how Fedora proper has packaged this up in the past. We
would need to work with them on it.
b) it may not be the policy on how Fedora deals with incompatible
updates. I would prefer that way but couldn't find it.

So basically this is what I was trying to suggest.

1) Repackage the last 1.5.x with any patches to be moin15x replaces moin < 1.6
2) Repackage the current moin as moin18x (or moin19x) because as far
as I have dealt with no update has worked cleanly from 1.x to 1.(x+1)

3) obsolete the moin15x and moin package from EPEL

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux