xz branch for EL-4

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 01:58:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 05:24:18PM -0800, David Rees wrote:
>> Yes, I figured as much.  Thanks for the tip.  Sure I can't talk you
>> into branching xz for EL-4? :-)
>
> Nope, but I'll be happy to act as your sponsor!  You can start learning
> about packaging rpms by looking at the srpm and I'll walk you through the
> two building steps to change the EL-5 package to use a tar.gz tarball, and
> then change it back to tar.xz afterwards.
>
> If you're on IRC.freenode.net, I can help you in real-time (although not so
> much in the next two weeks -- I'll mostly be away at pycon those weeks).
>
> If you're interested, let me know.

I've done a bit of packaging on my own systems so I have a bit of
knowledge about building / maintaining RPMs - should I just go ahead
and build a .spec and .src.rpm with the .gz src and submit a Package
Review Request and let you know so you can sponsor me?

Or do I just need to build the .gz version to bootstrap my EL-4 system
and then verify that that .xz version builds afterwards and submit
that?  How do the build systems handle that chicken and egg problem?

-Dave