Request for policy clarification

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon Jun 14 19:48:59 UTC 2010

Recently, I've had to deal with a rather touchy situation in EPEL. I
built the package libtalloc of version 2.0.1 as a dependency on several
other packages that I was building: libtevent, libldb and sssd.

This was released and entered EPEL5 stable during the lifetime of RHEL 5.4.

When RHEL 5.5 was released, however, it contained a new package,
samba3x, that built as a subpackage libtalloc 1.2.0. So now there is a
conflict in EPEL, which violates the "EPEL won't upgrade packages in
RHEL" rule.

However, we also have a responsibility to those relying on this package
in EPEL (as libtalloc 1.2.0 is too old to work as the dependency for
libldb or sssd).

My case was somewhat fortunate: libtalloc 2.x had gone through an soname
bump. I was able to (in a very hideous hack) rebuild a copy of libtalloc
1.2.0 from the samba3x SRPM and repackage it into my EPEL libtalloc 2.x
package. Thus, any users who were using e.g. SSSD in EPEL 5 will be able
to update to RHEL 5.6, even if it is in violation of the "EPEL won't
upgrade packages in RHEL" rule.

However, I think we need a general policy written up for EPEL on how we
should handle other packages that end up in this situation. For example,
what do we do if a package has NOT had an soname bump, and some EPEL
packages cannot function with the older version of the library in RHEL?

Obviously, this is a problem that must be solved in EPEL, not in RHEL.
The RHEL policy will always be (and should be) "If you install a
third-party repository, your problems are your own".

* Last note: I am working with the samba3x team at Red Hat to eliminate
this conflict in RHEL 5.6 by pulling libtalloc 2.0.1 into RHEL proper
and building samba3x against it.

--
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761