Broken URL for epel-release, strategy for the future

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Thu Sep 2 16:48:02 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 01 September 2010, Dennis Gilmore elucidated thus:
> On Wednesday, September 01, 2010 03:56:04 pm Stephen John Smoogen
wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 13:37, Tony Yarusso <tyarusso at nagios.com>
wrote:
> > > So as background, our product's installation script contains a
> > > line which reads:
> > > rpm -Uvh
> > > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-
> > >3.noarch .rpm
> >
> > Hi tony.
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback and reminding us know that some people rely
> > on us. We will see if our push stuff can create a more permanent
> > link you could aim at to get the release better.
>
> there is not an easy way to provide a permanent link.

<incredulous>Really!?</incredulous> I have seen *lots* of projects
provide a link in their list of download files to
project_name.latest.tar.gz which is a symlink to the latest version of
the tar ball.  Couldn't a script be added somewhere which basically
does this:

(mind the wrap)

ln -sf `ls -tr /path/to/rpms/epel-release-*.noarch .rpm|
tail -1` /path/to/epel-release-latest.noarch.rpm

That seems trivial.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK