Request to upgrade DJango

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Fri Apr 20 01:56:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 20:10 +0200, Matthias Runge wrote:
> On 17/04/12 19:43, Adam Young wrote:
> > While looking into EPEL support for Openstack, we came across the issue
> > that EPEL ships with 1.2.7 and Openstack expects 1.3. Upon looking at
> > https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.3/releases/1.3/#backwards-incompatible-changes-in-1-3
> > I see that one of the major differences is protection against XSRF. This
> > alone is sufficient reason to upgrade.
> >
> > Installing an RPM from the Sourceforge site worked well with Openstack,
> > so it seems to fit our needs as well.
> >
> > Are there any objections to upgrading EPEL's version of Django To the
> > latest?
> Umh, my fault. I'm planning to upgrade django for epel6 to version 1.3.x
> since two weeks now; sadly, real life kept me really busy.
>
> There have been some requests to upgrade to version 1.4 (to skip 1.3.x).
> I'm aware of at least one application, which would break, if we upgrade
> to django-1,4: reviewboard.
> So, I'd do an update to django-1.3.1 in the next few days. An additional
> reason to upgrade is, that django developers only support the two latest
> versions, so 1.2.7 is not actively maintained any more.

Yes, ReviewBoard currently cannot work with Django 1.4. This is a known
issue and last I heard probably won't be fixed until ReviewBoard 1.7.0
(not yet in beta release).

However, now that your 1.3.1 packages are in updates-testing, I have
been able to package up ReviewBoard 1.6.5 which requires Django 1.3, so
thanks for that. :) There are a lot of improvements in the 1.6.x series
that I think people will like.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/django-evolution-0.6.7-1.el6,python-djblets-0.6.16-1.el6,RBTools-0.4.1-1.el6,ReviewBoard-1.6.5-2.el6