qt3.3-devel providing qt-devel ?

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sat May 5 20:32:49 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am trying to build djview4 for el6. The spec file has a
BuildRequires: qt-devel >= 4.2. However, for some reason during
package building qt3.3-devel is pulled in (both on the builders and in
mock). I notice that:

$ rpm -q --provides qt3-devel
qt-devel = 1:3.3.8b-30.el6
qt3-devel = 3.3.8b-30.el6

which seems slightly weird, but I'd still not expect that to satisfy
the BuildRequires for qt-devel, since I'm requiring >= 4.2.

Looking at qt4-devel I see it provides (amongst other things):

qt4-devel = 4.6.2-20.el6
qt-devel = 1:4.6.2-20.el6

So, why isn't this being pulled in? Is it because of the epoch? And
why isn't the build simply failing at satisfying the BuildRequires?
(It fails later on during %build for related reasons). Is this a bug
with the qt3.3 package?

Cheers,
Jonathan