EPEL epel7 planning and processes

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Dec 16 05:01:15 UTC 2013

El Thu, 12 Dec 2013 17:07:34 -0700
Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> escribió:
> Greetings.
>
> Several folks have been asking about epel7 and we should get the ball
> rolling now that there is a public rhel7 beta.
>
> I'd like to propose a similar plan to the one we used for epel6, which
> the possible exception of branching method.
>
> For epel6 we asked maintainers who didn't want to branch their
> packages from epel5 into epel6 to add a 'dontbranch' file to cvs (at
> the time) and then we mass branched all the rest of the packages into
> epel6. This was good for adding in a lot of packages quickly, but
> resulted in some packages that to this day never got a build (where
> maintainers decided they didn't want to build/support, etc).
>
> So, I was thinking this time perhaps we could:
>
> * Setup a wiki page that contains all packages that are in rhel7beta.
> (for reference)
> * Setup another wiki page for epel7
> * As soon as there is a group of packages there, Branch them.
> * Keep the wiki page open until we are out of beta/rawhide mode and
>   folks can mass add packages there for branching, process once a day
>   or something.
> (this would avoid overloading scmadmins if someone wanted to branch a
> bunch of packages).
>
> Thoughts or better ideas for branching?
>
> The rest of the process would include:
>
> * Setup git scripts to allow epel7 branches.
> (Default would be branch from f19)
Done

> (need to decide if the git branch name is el7 or epel7).
I went with epel7 it matches pkgdb and koji, to me it is much cleaner
and clearer. (note you will need the fedpkg update that I built today to
build.

> * Create gpg keys and add to signing server/verify pages.
gpg keys created, need to finish the steps

> * Branch epel-release and add keys, etc.
Done
> * Add koji tags and build targets, etc.
Done

> * Add bugzilla version for bugs.
Added, i also disabled epel4

> * Probibly some wiki help to update things
> * Setup nightly cron job that composes epel7 in rawhide mode.
Just needs some tweaking and enabling should be done soon.
> * Don't depend on packages being signed until we exit rawhide mode.

epel.repo has gpgcheck=0 currently. Im open to changing it. but we
can't guarantee that all packages are always signed.

> * Move from rawhide -> normal mode some time after rhel7 final is out
>   (with 6 it was a few months after).
I think we waited for CentOS 6 to come out