EPEL intent up update libgearman in Fedora and

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Thu Jul 18 18:28:26 UTC 2013

The gearmand package was recently orphaned for all branches. I've
taken over maintenance, and Blake and I intend to push the latest
upstream gearmand (1.1.8) to Fedora and EPEL 5 and 6.

This will involve an ABI break from the current EPEL libgearmand
package (0.14), although no packages in EPEL depend on libgearman or
gearmand.

In Fedora, the one package that depends on libgearman is the
php-pecl-gearman package. In my research, this package should not
require a rebuild, since Fedora will only be going from 1.1.2 ->
1.1.8.

Generally speaking, our intent with this update is three-fold:
- Update gearmand so that we do not have to scramble the ABI breakage
if a CVE were to be issued.
- Update gearmand to allow for persistent storage. Without this
feature, gearmand's functionality is limited.
- Update libgearman to allow for the eventual inclusion of
php-pecl-gearman in EL6/5.

- Ken