EPEL Django deprecated

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 19:16:00 UTC 2013

On 8 June 2013 11:27, Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:

> In terms of the goal of collecting data to help EPEL, I presume anything
> we did with analysis would want to include making available the analyzed
> dataset. Is that possible to do while protecting privacy?

That is the rub. Once you go to the point of sharing the data it falls
under a whole different set of rules and such than if you keep it. That is
where protecting the privacy of the individuals starts coming up and
penalties for not doing so become a problem. At this point I would say that
any mirror that is set up would probably keep its data private unless it
was set up by an organization whose job was to publish such data. [EG if a
nonprofit setup to collect the pulse of the internet does it that is
different than if Red Hat or something paid by Red Hat does so.]

> Maybe privacy is the goal more than anonymity? And can we make datasets
> available by obfuscating certain details to protect privacy? Maybe there
> is an "anonymous enough" position we can take?
>
> - Karsten

I do not know enough to comment beyond when it has been brought up in the
past most legal answers were to check if I had been smoking pot in the last
20 minutes.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.