EPEL Updating Puppet to 2.7.x

Michael Stahnke stahnma at puppetlabs.com
Wed Oct 2 03:25:06 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Jeff Sheltren <jeff at tag1consulting.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
>>
>> So, could you remind us again of the various interactions of the
>> versions? (or is there a doc on it?)
>>
>> Ie, of 2.6, 2.7, 3.0, which versions clients can talk to which versions
>> servers?

So 2.6 clients should be able to talk with 2.7.x masters. The later
2.7.x stuff is even better with more helpful warnings and deprecation
notices.

> I'm not sure about 2.7 -> 3.0, but for the sake of this discussion perhaps
> what's important is that 2.6 clients and/or servers don't get along with 2.7
> clients and/or servers.  So any existing client or server using EPEL puppet
> will need to be updated at the same time.
>

>> Also, is there any changes people would need to make to their puppet
>> manifests between 2.6 and 2.7?

The main things are:

Service resource types by default have has_status => true in 2.7.x
(which was mostly of the time manually set in 2.6.x by people
authoring code anyway).

I think there was one other item, but I can't for the life of me
remember it right now. There also is some ill-defined behavior in
2.7.x on using Class/Variable names with a hyphen in them. I'd advice
against it.

> I think there are some small things here, but should mostly just work -- I'm
> able to share some (relatively simple) configs between 2.6 and 2.7
> servers/clients with no issues.  If someone could provide more detail than
> that, I'd appreciate it :)

Sam, any idea where this is at?