EPEL Access to devtoolset in ?

Dave Johansen davejohansen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 21:23:01 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 20:32:41 -0700
> Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > How can I get involved in that process? I would definitely like to
> > help out with enabling the support for them in the EPEL.
>
> Join the packaging list and see this post just today:
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/packaging/2013-September/009525.html

So after a little discussion on the packaging list, it was decided that
this is the right place to have the conversation (
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/packaging/2013-September/009554.html).

I think part of the confusion may have come because I don't want to package
an SCL, but I want to make use of a specific SCL that RedHat has created.
The discussion going on in the packaging mailing list is about the
guidelines for how to create SCLs, so my request isn't really pertinent
there. Anyway, I'll try to describe the situation a little better.

There are two parts of ODB: 1) the compiler and 2) the runtime. The
compiler takes an input and generates C++ code that can be built against
and used with the runtime. The generated code and the runtime can be used
with gcc 4.2 or greater.

The issue is that ODB requires gcc's plugin support (
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/plugins ) to parse the input. Plugin support was
added in gcc 4.5 and only gcc 4.4 is available on RHEL 5/6. The devtoolset
makes a newer version available, which enables the use of the compiler and
not just the runtime.

Part of the confusion may also come from the fact that the binaries
generated by devtoolset are standalone and can be run on vanilla installs
of RHEL 5/6 (i.e. without the devtoolset installed). So generally the
devtoolset is only needed during build time, but since the ODB compiler is
a plugin for gcc, the devtoolset is required for it's use when generated
code for use with the runtime.

In summary, the devtoolset requires the appropriate subscription from RH,
but that is the point of my request. I would like to request that
devtoolset be made available on Koji so it can be used to build certain
packages. The idea is that then it will build the rpm on the server and it
will be available in the EPEL (but not the devtoolset itself). This means
that anyone who would want to use this package would need to have the
devtoolset installed, so it doesn't violate any of the RH/EPEL policies,
but would enable the use of the devtoolset with the EPEL.

Thanks,
Dave